180417 Osteoporosis: The risk factors
Some risk factors are under your control whereas others are not. Here is a brief list for your consideration.
1. Gender-of the ten million people with osteoporosis in the United States 80% of these are women. Particularly affected, and at increased risk for the disease, are Caucasian and Asian women.
2. As you grow older your risk increases.
3. Your diet and health history habits make contributions to the disease. Drinking alcohol and smoking, along with a lack of calcium and vitamin D and exercise hasten the onset of this bone weakening condition.
4. Other health conditions such as hyperthyroidism, chronic kidney disease and rheumatoid arthritis seem to predispose a person to osteoporosis.
5. Medications such as thyroid medication and oral steroids can damage the bones.
More to follow.